Monday, September 12, 2016

Shared Grief, Shared Joy

Readings from Sunday, 9/11/16

Click on the image to listen to the sermon.




Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I’m found, was blind but now – I see.

15 years ago on Tuesday on September 11, 2001 I got to my desk around 8:30 in the morning.  My office was on the corner of Canal and Hudson Street – right at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel if you’re familiar with getting into Manhattan from 95.  Like most offices in hip and trendy Tribeca it was an open floor plan with desks, tables spread around, no cubes or walls.  And the walls on the west and south sides where floor to ceiling windows. Spectacular views across the Hudson to Jersey and straight down past the end of the island through to Brooklyn.

Turned on my computer – started checking email – when someone walked very swiftly by my desk while saying – a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center.  I got up and followed him to that south wall– and stared at what looked like a movie.  That first building – where my parents had worked on the 98th floor when I was in Middle School.  It was impossible to process as reality the gaping hole – and smoke – and debris of I-couldn’t-comprehend-what - falling and fluttering through the air.

Next thing I remember - one of my coworkers standing next to me asking – what’s going on?  A plane flew into the towers.  What?  I don’t know – that’s what they said – I didn’t see it.  We were now maybe 15 of us standing in a line at those windows.  And someone said - what’s that – and pointed right?  Why is there another plane?  Why isn’t it turning? Oh no – we all gasped when it happened.  And there it was again – gaping hole – debris – smoke.  What is happening?

I ran to my desk – tried to pull up the NYTimes on my computer – wouldn’t work.  Then back at that window and watching the towers sway.  Could they fall, someone asked?  No that’s the World Trade Center – but then that’s what happened, we watched that tower collapse in on itself. 

I remember our CEO shouting – I want everyone out of the building now.  He pointed at some people saying, you, you, you get your cameras and get to the roof – everyone else out.

My friend Eliot looked at me and said – let’s go.  We all took the stairs – 9th floor – not too bad.  We got outside – we joined a river of people all moving north.  This was like nothing I had ever seen – it was a beautiful clear day.  We walked past people sitting in a cafe eating croissants – and I remember thinking – do they know what’s happening?  It got more crowded – more people.

We had made it to the corner of 14th Street/Broadway, Union Square – and were about to cross the intersection.  It felt like there were more people around us and moving – there was a feeling of anxiety that was growing – the sounds of people were getting louder – it started to feel stranger and scarier. 

At that time, my friend, Eliot – was engaged – and I was married. And as we’re about to step off the curb  he looks at me and says - Arianne, I don’t mean anything by it but could we just hold hands til we get where we’re going so we don’t lose each other?  Huge smile of gratitude – grabbed his hand - we ran across that street.  Speaking for myself - I wasn’t worried about losing each other – but I was terrified and scared and very grateful for someone’s hand to hold – grateful to be connected.

There are so many stories from that day 15 years ago and its important to remember then.  Stories that are small – and stories that are big.  Stories of tremendous courage – whereby ordinary people filled with something they didn’t know they had – reach out their hands to help others – reach out to sacrifice their lives by saving the hand of another.  Those stories are worth remembering because they remind us of something we can forget– just how connected we always are.

Rebecca Solnit is a writer who documents the stories of people after the disasters.  She writes, “when all the ordinary divides and patterns are shattered, people step up to become their brother’s keepers. And that purposefulness and connectedness brings joy even amidst death, chaos, fear and loss.”

Jesus is trying to break the ordinary divides and patterns sitting at a table with the Pharisees and the tax collectors and sinners.  That represents the far ends of the human spectrum and everyone inbetween.  And Jesus teaches – everyone is found by God.  Think about it – Sheep and coins, they can’t sin – and they can’t be religious.  Jesus isn’t saying – “if” you do this “then” God will love you.  “Then” God will find and forgive you.  Jesus is redefining what it means to repent.  Repentance is to let yourself be found. It’s not about what you've done – because everyone is going to get lost  – its about letting ourselves be found.
And the joy of those moments – that connection – that joy propels the shepherd and the woman to run out and call all their neighbors and have a party to celebrate.  For in doing so we reflect the joy of God with all the angels. 

Jesus is telling us – there are no lost causes – God doesn’t see us or the world that way – so we can’t see the world or people that way either.  And once we know, once we experience that amazing grace in our lives –  our joy grows stronger – when we got out and grab the hands of others to share in that connection.

The event we remember this day isn’t only reason I would up here – but the moments that I watched and lived through because of that experience moved me past the fear of leaving that career towards the faith that I was called to this vocation.

Church is not a building.  It is a community of people who come together to hear, remember and give thanks for story of God’s love for us  – and then make that love real in any and every way we can.

I am a Christian and I don’t believe it is my job to convert people to Christ.  I am a Christian because I have been found by God through Christ, again and again – and it is my deepest joy (more powerful than a job) to connect with other people in the big and small ways we all know amazing grace in our lives.

So let’s remember the stories – give thanks for the stories – and invite our neighbors to celebrate the joy of this story - this community.  The good news of compassion and making a difference – through all the ways we connect with God – with ourselves – and with others. 

And may we always give thanks to God – whose glory working in us can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine.  Glory to God from generation to generation in the church – and in Christ Jesus – the good shepherd – forever and ever.  Amen.

The Rev. Arianne R. Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment