Monday, June 6, 2016

The Transformational Effects of Compassion

Readings for the Third Sunday after Pentecost



To listen to the sermon click the picture

The Rev. Jessica E. Sexton
June 5, 2016

A couple weeks ago I was asked why I was a Christian. I was initially overwhelmed because there are many reasons why I am Christian, and I found myself trying to attempt to perfectly articulate the most compelling answer. As I think back to my conversation with my friend I wish I had given a more simple reply. I wish I had remembered the grieving mom in Luke.

The Gospel reading this week could get lost in the plethora of healing stories and in the uniqueness of Jesus’ Galilean ministry in Luke’s Gospel. It could be considered a simple story that is not complicated or complex but just another one of Jesus’ many miracles. Yet this pericope that is only found in Luke’s Gospel provides us with a foundation of why and how we should be Christians. It’s not just because Jesus raised the woman’s son from the dead or saved her from social and financial ruin but because Jesus had compassion for her. He not only saw her anguish but he felt it. I am a Christian because Christ’s compassion is transformative—for the life of the woman, her son, and also for us. 

Jesus had been traveling from Capernaum, which was about 20 miles to the town of Nain where he and his followers eventually stopped. We can assume that they must have been exhausted and hungry after such a long journey. But before Jesus even steps through the gate of this town for rest he witnesses a funeral procession. He sees the widowed mother surrounded by many people from the town crying and grieving over the loss of her son.

There are many different translations of what happens next. Some scholars have translated the Greek to say that Jesus pitied the woman but most have translated the text as Jesus feeling compassion for her. Aristotle defined pity as one who has experienced the pain of the sufferer but distances himself or herself from that person. Pity involves sympathy but separation. You feel sad for someone’s pain but you don’t engage it.

Compassion is completely different. Compassion is whether or not you have experienced the pain of the sufferer, your sympathy calls you to action. And by action—we feel compelled to care and serve those who are hurting. When we are compassionate we desire not to be separated from those in pain but engaged in their care.

For Jesus his compassion for this woman begins with his recognition that all has been lost for her—her husband, son and most likely her future. During that time a woman’s social and financial well-being was dependent upon the men in her family. Without any men to provide food and shelter the grieving mother is also at risk of dying. 

Therefore, this scene that Jesus and followers come upon is not just one funeral procession but two—the son and his mother. Although she is not dead, the probability of her living long without her family is small. The crowd that is surrounding her as she leaves the city to bury her son provides a haunting image that they are leading her to her own death.

Jesus knows all of this. He knows what will happen to her in his society. He knows the future that she will have being a widow with no male children. Jesus may not have experienced the same suffering as this woman by being neither a spouse nor a parent but he is a son. He has a relationship with his own mother. And he sees the love this woman had for her child that is the same love Mary had for him.

Jesus doesn’t pity her. If he did he would have been respectful as the procession passed by and then been on his way. Jesus has sympathy for this woman because it could and will be his mother standing by his body with tears running down her face. Jesus doesn’t waste time for pity but quickly attempts to comfort her and then raises her son from the dead.

Luke shows us that Christ’s power is not limited to just healing the sick but resurrection. What moved me in this Gospel was that his miracle wasn’t to show his power but to give it. By giving her son new life he gave her back her life and the power in her identity as a mother. His compassion transforms her wellbeing in this world.  It’s not the miracle itself but why he performed the miracle in the first place.

When has someone shown you sympathy and compassion? My most memorable experience was quite recent. This past Halloween I made a big mistake. I went hiking at Gunpowder State Park in Kingsville wearing the wrong shoes. And because I was not wearing appropriate hiking shoes I slipped on a rock while crossing a stream and fell into the water—breaking my leg. Not my finest moment. While at Virginia Theological Seminary a week later in a non-weight bearing caste and on crutches I found myself ironically at the healing service for Thursday Chapel. I crutched my way up to the alter to receive a prayer for healing and a blessing, and after the visiting priest was done with his prayer he leans over and whispers in my ear, “wouldn’t it be awesome if you could just drop your crutches and walk back to your seat? It would be a miracle!” He’s laughing and I’m awkwardly smiling because I’m in so much pain. To be honest, my prayer was for a miracle that I could just get up and walk, and my stupid decision to wear fashion boots on a short stroll through the woods could be taken back.

What I didn’t get then that I do now is that a miracle did happen. I was healed because of the compassion and kindness of others—my family and my peers. Prior to my fall, my first couple months at Virginia Theological were so hectic balancing school, family and church that I found myself not meeting many people on campus. I had vowed during my fall break that I needed to work on that for the rest of the semester. Who would have thought it would take breaking my leg and being pretty much helpless to meet people? Yet I got to experience amazing compassion, kindness and generosity from my classmates to students I didn’t know asking if I needed help or make me lunch or bring me coffee.

I was not healed by a spontaneous miracle, but I was healed slowly by the genuine care of others who by their help I was able to have a smooth recovery.

Therefore, I am a Christian because our God is a compassionate God that does not allow us to believe we are alone in our suffering. We may not have the power of physical resurrection like Christ, but we do have the power through our ability to engage the suffering of others to bring new life to be part of the healing this world needs. Through our kindness and love we have the opportunity to be part of transforming the lives of others just like Jesus.

It is a blessing for me to become a part of your community here at Good Shepherd that is already doing this transformational work. The love and compassion you have to serve others is what I look forward to being a part of. When learning about this church it was wonderful to discover the many ministries, committees and church groups you have here to care for this community and this city of Baltimore. It is a gift for me to come into a community that is actively serving others with compassionate hearts to transform and heal the brokenness of the world. I look forward to partnering with Arianne to be involved with the wonderful ministries she and all of you are engaged in here. As we do ministry together may we always be focused on compassion and not pity as we do God’s work to show Christ’s love in the world. Amen.















No comments:

Post a Comment