Monday, July 7, 2014

When the Burden is too Heavy

Romans 7:15-25a
Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

Every year at the beginning of Lent, our preschoolers and I read Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton in chapel. If you’ll permit me, I’d like to read a bit of this story about a dog to you this morning.

Harry is going out. “Will you be good, George?” asks Harry. “Yes,” says George. “I’ll be very good.” I hope I’ll be good, George thinks. George sees something in the kitchen. It’s cake!  I said I’d be good, George thinks, but I LOVE cake. What will George do? (George eats the cake.) Oh no, George![1]

I think you can guess how the rest of the story goes. George sees Cat, who he loves to chase. George sees dirt, which he loves to dig in. George said he’d be good, but these temptations are just so tempting. And when Harry returns, George has ruined the house. George is sorry. George resolves to do better. George does do better, for a while, but the story ends with George, tempted to dig in a trash can. We don’t know what George does in the end. The book ends on a question: George?
           
We’ve all had moments in our lives that end with a similar question, haven’t we. We can will what is right, but we cannot do it. We are just like George the dog. This little children’s book is such a great illustration of exactly what St. Paul is talking about! And I get that. I understand exactly how St. Paul feels. Don’t you? Wretched man that I am! Who will save me from this body of death? Who will save George the dog from digging in the trash can?

I like to imagine that the first time Paul’s letter to the Romans was read in Rome, Pheobe, the deacon of the church in Cenchrae whom Paul identifies as the end of the letter as is bearer, whom Paul would have trained in how to read the letter, Pheobe paused at this point. Maybe she sat the scroll down. And I like to think that the depth of this question penetrated into the hearts of all of those who had gathered to hear this new letter from Paul.

Who will save me from this body of death? I ask myself this question on a regular basis. Don’t you? Now, I don’t use quite these words, but I’m still asking the same question. Sometimes I ask it without using words. One of those times occurred when I was doing my hospital chaplain internship. I was paged to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to sit with a mother as she took her newborn daughter off life support. It was awful. When you’re in a situation like that, there are no answers. The mother didn’t even ask me why God would let something like that happen. She just cried. I held her hand and cried with her. As we sat there, watching the heartbeats fade from the heart monitor, we were both crying out, with sighs too deep for words, Paul’s cry: Who will save me from this body of death?

That is the essential question of human life. Sometimes, it’s tempting to jump right over to the answer: Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! But that’s not the way life works. And when we are confronted with our human frailty in a powerful way, the answer isn’t as simple as skipping right ahead to the next verse. When we are grieving as we are now over the death of John Burk, an answer is simple as “Jesus needed another angel in heaven” doesn’t satisfy. There is a real existential angst in that question, in our finite inability to do all the good we want, a finitude revealed to us in death. We don’t need pat answers. We need Jesus.

We need to hear our Gospel reading. We need to be reminded that we relate to God as children, not as adults. If we were adults, maybe we’d have this life thing figured out. Maybe we’d know how to do the good we will. Maybe we’d know the answers to give grieving people. But we aren’t, so we don’t. God has revealed these things—the Good News of God in Jesus Christ—to children. And we receive grace, the free gift of God, as children. We can’t run faster or beat our arms harder and somehow arrive at salvation. We need to be given it. And thank God, Jesus does give it to us.

Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

We find rest for our weary souls when we stop trying to do it ourselves. That’s why Jesus’ yoke is easy, and his burden is light: he has shouldered it for us. Somehow, in the midst of that awful hospital room where I sat with that mother and her dying child, Jesus showed up. He showed up when I stopped trying to make things right, stopped trying to find something to say to the mother to make her feel better. I had nothing to do with Jesus showing up. He didn’t show up because someone called for a chaplain. He showed up because everyone in that room needed him, and we had stopped pretending otherwise. When that happened, it was like all the air in the room changed. It grew lighter. The mother sang “Jesus loves me” as she rocked her daughter for the last time. Somehow, in a way that I do not understand, Jesus gave us rest and comfort. Jesus let us set heavy burdens down. All there was left was a palpable sense of God’s love.

Who will save me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!


[1] Chris Haughton, Oh No, George! Somerville: Candlewick, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment